So about a month or so ago, I finally decided to attempt to make tutus. I went to Jo-Ann Fabric and bought some tulle. I have 2 little cousins and I think these will make good Christmas presents. I watched this video and looked on a few other blogs to see how to make them.
Mine turned out like this.
Thea’s was the first one I made and I bought elastic and sewed it in a loop, but I was unsure of her size.
For Ainsleigh’s I used a head band which I think worked even better. (Scroll down for next picture to see what I’m talking about.)
I used scissors, a measuring tape, 3 yards of pink/purple tulle each, 1 yard of white tulle each and a headband to make the tutu itself, then I added little embellishments which I can show you in a bit.
I folded the tulle and then rolled it.
Then I measured 3 inches and cut. I did this every 3 inches down the whole roll.
I cut it all until I ended up with these.
Then I unrolled them and cut them in half to make strips. For Thea’s I just unrolled them to leave them longer, but ended up having to cut them at the end to make them a bit shorter.
I did this with my pink and white tulle until I had all of this.
Then I put the elastic headband around a roll of paper towels to begin tying the tulle strips on.
I then began tying the tulle strips on to the elastic. I have a picture here that is a bit blurry from when I made Thea’s tutu but you can see I just basically folded the strip in half, tucked the loop side under the elastic and then pulled the rest of the tulle through, securing it in place.
I tried out a few different patterns of white and purple/pink and ended up with 2 purple and 1 white for Thea’s and then 3 pink then 1 white for Ainsleigh’s. I also triple layered Ainsleigh’s, using 3 tulle strips for each knot, making it fuller.
Once I finished making the tutus themselves, I chose to add little embellishments because I thought they looked a bit plain on their own.
I chose purple flower buttons for Thea’s and mirror jewel buttons for Ainsleigh’s.
I sewed the purple flowers on at different heights around the skirt so they didn’t look too formal.
I sewed them all around the skirt.
For Ainsleigh’s tutu I used these.
I sewed them on in a similar pattern, spaced evenly around the skirt.
So I finally did it. I finally made the tutus I had been yearning to make for months now. They didn’t take long, maybe a few hours and were lots of fun. If you don’t want to put any embellishments on them they don’t require any sewing. I bet you could use a hot glue gun too if that would be easier for adding little buttons or jewels.
I hope you are inspired to create something for yourself or a loved one and enjoy life to the fullest today!
Thanks for reading!